How to Apply for US Citizenship: To become a citizen of the United States of America is a great step for anyone to take. Becoming an official U.S. citizen means getting access to a number of special rights reserved only for individuals who fall into two categories: those who became U.S. citizens by birth, or those who did so by pledging their allegiance to the United States.
If you are a green card holder and have made the decision to apply for citizenship in the U.S you can easily complete the application process.
Here we can check and know the how to apply for US citizenship, what are the requirements for us citizenship, us citizenship application process and us citizenship application given below.
Apply for US Citizenship, Requirements and Application:
Requirements for US Citizenship:
Candidates who are willing to apply for US citizenship through naturalization, they should meet following below requirements.
- Candidates must be 18 years or age or above.
- A lawful permanent resident for 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
- Should maintained continuous residence during the past 5 years ( 3 years if married to a US citizen) and physical presence during the past 5 years ( 3 years if married to a US citizen).
- They have good moral character, good basic knowledge of english and knowledge on US government and history.
- They should be willing to take the oath of allegiance.
To Apply for the US Citizenship:
8 Steps to Naturalization: Understanding the Process of Becoming a U.S. Citizen:
The below steps give you detail information about how to apply for US Citizenship:
- Prepare to apply for naturalization. To prepare, read through this document.
- Prepare and organize all required and recommended documentation. Click here for a checklist for required documents. Recommended documentation would be anything that you think would help support your request or answer any additional questions that may come up during your interview regarding your past.
- Fill out and file Form N-400. This is the official Application for Naturalization form.
- Receive your Interview appointment letter from USCIS. After USCIS receives and processes your application, you will receive an interview appointment letter. You may also receive a separate appointment letter for biometric screening i.e finger prints before your interview appointment.
- Review your forms and study for the exams. It is recommended that you review your N-400 application and any other documentation you plan to bring with you to your interview. Doing so will make answering the questions easier. As part of your interview, you will also be required to take a U.S. Civics exam. You will also be expected to display English reading, writing, and speaking proficiency.
- Then go to your interview and bring all required documentation with you, and be prepared to answer all questions asked about you.
- After that you will receive a decision letter about your interview, You will receive a notice on the status of your case.
- Then reapply or take the oath. Depending on whether your application for Naturalization was approved or not, you may receive a notice announcing your ceremony date. If your application was denied, you can reapply.
Application For N-400: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400.pdf